Saturday, February 23, 2013

Still Alive

My apologies for going off the grid.  I came down with a cold and slept whenever Myla slept.
I knew this was coming right after she coughed in my mouth the other day.  Welcome to parenthood right?

In spite of my cold and red rudolph nose we still managed to get out and see a few sites.
It was cooler than anticipated, upper 30's and with Myla and I both with a cold we decided to take each day as it came.

We were able to drive a bit out into the country side and visited a beautiful park and an ancient village.  The village has become very touristy but we still enjoyed and were glad to see it.


To be random....before we forget, Happy Belated Birthday Andy!

Refocusing...
Just prior to our departure I signed up for a yahoo group in relation to those who have adopted from Myla's province.  Upon arrival, I sent out a message and within hours many people had responded.

We had one family reach out to us who happen to live there.  The moved from Belgium to Guizhou and foster children with special needs.  They felt called and so they went.  They have cared for many children who have been adopted all over the world including MN and WI too!  The father and son took us out to dinner and shared their stories.  We enjoyed their company and were grateful for thief hospitality. Hetty, Ian and Geoffrey if you are reading this, thank you and God Bless, you are truly special people.

On our last day, our guide took us to have a traditional local meal.  Hot and sour fish soup.  It was dee-licious!  I think the spice helped my cold a bit too!  Unbeknownst to me, Jared and Ben stepped away to make our fish selection prior to eating.  Jared actually got to pick out the fish we were going to eat.  Then the chef smacked the fish over the head before placing it in our pot.  I am glad I did not know this or see this till after I ate it.  Thank you Mr. Fish for your tasty sacrifice.

Unfortunately, our plane to Guangzhou was delayed and we did not get to our hotel till after 10 pm and poor Myla was pretty cranky (so was I, my sold was really kicking me in the pants) and it took awhile to settle her to sleep. She did pretty well on the plane with a little crying but 1.5 hours is nothing compared to the 17 hours.  But we will deal with that when it comes.

Before this gets ridiculously long, I will leave with some Myla minutes:

Things we are learning about Myla:

1.  She enjoys eating (A girl after my own heart) which is good since she is quite tiny and we want her to grow strong and healthy.

2. When she eats she makes these really cute noises. We call them petite and soft Chewbacha sounds.  We call her petite Chewy (Yes, a Star Wars reference, would you expect anything less)

3.  I mentioned she was small and yes, we wish we could feed her protein shakes but man is she strong.  Changing her diaper sometimes is like wrestling with the Hulk.

4. I love seeing her face in the morning...sleepy and smily morning Myla.

5. She digs baths. She will be ready for swimming this summer I think!

Hope all is well with everyone.  Much Love and God Bless, Carrie










5 comments:

  1. Stop thinking about 17 hours ( I know you can't) She seems wonderful. Mickie can't wait to get to the airport. Bring some of that soup home please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so happy to hear from you. Pictures are cute, I love the one where she is catching a nap. Maybe you should take a lesson from her. All our love to Jared and his two girls.

    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO much love for you all (and especially that little lovey with the beautiful smile)! My heart is full seeing your family finally united (although, Spunky is still to come!). Such beautiful photos of the area, too....you are going to leave with amazing memories to share with Myla as she grows older. The fact that you are embracing everything about where she comes from is incredible....you two are amazing!

    -Farrah

    P.S.
    Take those comments from helpful parents/caregivers with a grain of salt (ie. in reference to how you dress Myla, other things). Most people mean well, but trust your gut.....you two are smart parents already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the picture of Myla sleeping/snuggling on the teddy bear. TOO CUTE! Makes me want to cuddle up next to her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, Jared and Myla--what a beautiful family you are! I'm sorry it took me so long to check out your blog--tears of joy are streaming down my face as I read your updates and relish the amazing photos!!!! This has been such a long journey; through it all--God is so good! Love you!!!! Congratulations!!! Katie Vadnais :)

    ReplyDelete