Thursday, February 14, 2013

Beijing

Ni hao ! We have arrived! Flights were very smooth but long but that is alright by me. No cookie woofing. I think a total of 17 hours in the air. It is amazing to think we have traveled approximately 6000 miles in less than a day. Do you remember that song 500 miles? Yeah, we got that beat.

Last night was technically was our arrival in Beijing.  We spent less then two hours in
Tokyo however, I have a feeling (call it a hunch) I would have liked it if we would have been able to stay. I also bought a strawberry kit kat for Jared in lieu of Valentines Day at the airport. Fancy eh? Confession: They were delicious.

Our guide gave us a wonderful tour, a rich oral history of the Forbidden City. It was impressive to say the least and my mind started to fill the spaces, with those from times past and the details of lives of all who dwelled there as we went from building to room to garden space.
It was also fun to people watch but I after awhile I think sometimes...we were actually the people being watched.

We also had the opportunity to walk through Tiananmen Square; the worlds largest square and gateway to the Forbidden City, Mao's Mausoleum and History Museum to name a few.
Tomorrow's agenda? Summer Palace.

We feel we have learned so much in a short time here (Although, truly I know it is a tiny tip of the iceberg) and I am trying so hard to store in my mind every little feeling, piece of knowledge and unfolding thought but I am afraid I will forget.

Most of all I am thankful for this chance to experience our daughters country and to be able to share it with my best friend.

Over and out for now and God Bless.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're there safely. Nice jacket! Did you see the Asian Colonel Sanders on the one side of Tianemen Square? Try some Peking Duck. We're all sending our love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics!! I can hardly contain my excitement for you both!! And thank you...I now have the 500 miles song stuck in my head. Today is BOGO day at Caribou...I drank two coffee's in your honor :) Might be sick later, but oh well!

    Happy Valentine's Day...one day closer to your beautiful daughter!

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures. Is that a lucky Fu Dog?

    ReplyDelete