Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Miss Myla's surgery part two

Due to my lack of sleep this blog post is an excerpt from an email to a dear friend I wrote providing some details of the day....

She is sleeping now. Jared just left not too long ago. One parent rule. 
I know I am subjective as a parent...but I am so proud and amazed of her and by her. Our little soldier. 

Her face looks amazing but the truth is, it was amazing and beautiful to me before the surgery. And I must admit I am a little sad to see it go but excited for her new smile too.

She had a little trouble coming out of anesthesia...
It was 35 minutes since the put her in the recovery room and I decided to insist we see her...that is when they told us she was wheezing and her breathing a bit labored. They kept telling us she was stable but they needed to calm her down. They were going to nebulize her but then she pulled out of it.
When we went to go see her....my little muffin, I held her as she struggled and kicked out of it, normal I hear and Jared kept telling me to breathe. I did not realize I wasn't. I couldn't take deep breaths. I thought I was holding it in well but then the wave of emotions took over. It lasted about 60 seconds and Jared got me to believe it or not laugh and then I was in check again. For a moment I felt like that little kid who is choked by a sob and the parents says BREATHE...that was me.

We were up in her room shortly after and Myla took turns sleeping in both our arms. She watched Jared like a little hawk, no way daddy was leaving her sight. It was so precious.
Her face is swollen like a little chipmunk storing nuts for winter but after dinner gave her a full belly she started to get her spunk back. Still groggy and worn out but with a spark of that spunkiness.

Her no, nos are going to be a challenge to keep on and it is hard for her to play or sleep comfortably. I will have to get creative.  We're calling them hee, hee, screw you's....why the heck am I wearing these things. But two weeks is not too bad in the grand scheme of it all.

The surgeon yes did great, amazing work but the nurses are the ones walking us and Myla through this and I am grateful.
I saw the nurse that helped Myla calm down from anesthesia in the hallway later and thanked her for giving Myla tender care in that moment. So many people helping Myla through today. So many of you helping her and us through this day with your prayers. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Carrie and Jared,

    We are SO relieved to hear that Myla's surgery went well....having gone through surgery with Liam at a young age as well, I completely understand how terrifying it can be as a parent. Your little cutie is a rock star for pulling through it all with flying colors, and it won't be long before she is back to her old self! We love you guys....please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do to help. As always, sending lots of love and prayers! - Farrah, Jeff, Liam and Ava

    ReplyDelete