Friday, October 30, 2015

A Poem for My Daughter

Into this world newly born
Seperated mother and child by belief, culture and circumstance
The end of something monumnetal just as you begin this life
A loss no one should endure
One with many mothers
I know this, God never lifted his gaze from you
You were never alone though I am sure the loneliness you felt was so deep
You were brought into the fold of what would be a temporary space
Meeting many brothers and sisters in your same place
Small survivors with hope in your eyes
brave not by choice
you have endured so much in your short life

We waited for you across the ocean divide
You again were about to face goodbyes
Farewells to your little brothers and sisters
The women who cared for you each and every day
Knowing there would be tears for everythig big, small again was lost
and nothing was the same, all new
Your story has so many parts and pieces broken, mended and redeemed.
Strong and brave and beautiful you
I prayed for her, for me, for you for the forming of our family
I see you. My heart sees all that came before I held you.
I acknowledge and honor your life before me. I respect your story, more lived than in just one lifetime
No one has fought harder than the orphan
You became my daughter and I your mother. He has entrusted to me you, tender vivacious beautiful girl
I love you with every piece of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment