Monday, August 10, 2015

A Little Girl in Beijing




I texted this post in the middle of the night when I could not sleep. I have debated if I should post this. But here I go.

Brand new to the world. A helpless miracle. Given a death sentence. Today I read about a little baby girl. Newly born left face down in a floor toilet pipe in Beijing China. I cried when I saw her picture. And I cried harder when I saw the floor toilet. I had forgotten what they looked liked. I tried to sit at my desk and not crawl right out of my skin. My heart horrified yet grateful she was rescued. I try not to judge the woman who put her there. Women who live there face what I would never have to. Maybe someone else forced her or it was another person. Perhaps she was unmarried. I know this is a culture that puts women in situations they should never have to even comprehend. I wish she could have been placed outside a hospital or even a restaurant...somewhere she could be found? I wish this women never felt she had to do this.
I turn my thoughts back to this baby girl. To be disposed of in such a way based on gender...on how that society devalues girls. My heart again hurts. I don't know what to do with this. God as your child, tell me what to do...help me act. Bring forth a path, perhaps a calling. I don't want this to be a moment of discomfort that passes. Let it lead to something. I crawl into my daughters bed. Born in China. Born with cleft lip and palate. I think of that little newborn girl again. I know she exists in a society with the odds stacked against her. But I pray, I hope. Let her live, thrive and find a family. Let her dance. Let her laugh. Let her smile. Let her hold hear head high. Let her LIVE. Let her fully embrace she is fearfully and wonderfully made. Let her live.

No comments:

Post a Comment